Maggie Stiefvater’s contemporary fantasy, The Scorpio Races, came out in 2011. I read it exactly one time, but nearly eight years later, it remains one of my favorite books.
Why I loved it:
- the push and pull between the two main characters, Puck and Sean
- the fantastical imagery of the demonic water horses–they were super scary and fascinating all at the same time
- Puck’s deep love for her horse
- there is tension on every page–I couldn’t put this book down
- the mixture of fantasy and contemporary worlds
- no denying Stiefvater knows how to write beautifully
Has anyone else read it? And if you haven’t–don’t wait.